The much awaited WordPress 3.0 “Thelonious” is officially released. It is named after Thelonious Sphere Monk, an American jazz pianist and composer considered as one of the giants of American music. It’s now available for download or you can upgrade within your dashboard.
I’ve been testing WordPress 3.0 since Beta 2 in my local WordPress install. Last week I upgraded to RC3 and now, the final release. It’s worth the wait! Kudos to all the 218 developers who contributed to the 3.0 release cycle.
What’s funny was, when I was beta-testing WP 3.0, and typed the wrong password, something strange happened to the login form. Go try it out! 🙂
There are plenty of New Features in WordPress 3.0 making it even more powerful. Some of those I like are:
- Twenty Ten – new default well built theme that takes full advantage of the current features of WordPress. It’s packed with cool features, clean typography and strong focus on SEO.
- Multisite – run multiple sites within one single install.
- New Custom Menu Management – makes it easy to create and manage multiple menus combining posts, pages, categories, tags, and links for use in theme menus or widgets.
- Custom Header and Background Support – add custom background in a theme
- Bulk Updates for Themes and Plugins – big time saver
- Custom Post Types and Custom Taxonomies
Check out WordPress 3.0’s Codex page for a more comprehensive look on WP 3.0
Take a look at the WordPress 3.0 Video Tour
What are you waiting for? Upgrade now. Just don’t forget to backup your database and download a copy of all your files first.