Ever wondered why wedding ring is worn on the fourth finger? I saw this video from a link in Facebook and I found it interesting. It’s about the Chinese legend on why the wedding ring is worn on the fourth finger. It has been around for I don’t know how long but it’s just now that I heard of this. I even followed the instructions on the video. 🙂
The fact that this is just a legend, we can’t say if it’s true or not. But I like the explanation, makes sense to me.
“Thumb represents your parents – they will open because your parents are not destined to live with you lifelong, and have to leave you sooner or later. Index finger represents your siblings – they will also open, because your brothers and sisters will have their own families and will have to lead their own separate lives. Last (Little, pinky) finger represents your children – they will open too, because the children also will get married and settle down on their own some day. You will be surprised to see that you just CAN NOT separate Ring fingers that represents your spouse, because Husband & Wife have to remain together all their lives – through thick and thin!”
Now, If there’s one thing I am curious to know about wedding ring is that where should it be worn? On the left fourth finger or on the right fourth finger? Coz ours is worn on the right, while some couples on the left. When somebody asked me before, I just said, I don’t know, we were told to wear it on the right ring finger during our wedding ceremony.
According to Wikipedia:
A wedding ring or wedding band is a metal ring indicating the wearer is married. Depending on the local culture, it is worn on the base of the right or the left ring finger.
The right hand is the traditional hand for vows or oaths. It is raised when such an oath is given, so the wedding ring would here show the sincerety of the oath. A traditional reason to wear the wedding ring on the right hand stems from Roman custom and biblical references
The left hand is also used for cultures that believe in the vena amoris or “vein of love” that is believed to be found in the left ring finger.
Okay, so wearing wedding ring on the left finger or the right finger depends on the culture, religion, tradition and personal preference. Now I know! There is no right or wrong way of wearing it. Well not unless you’re wearing it on your toes?!! 😛
While searching on which hand should a wedding ring be worn, I was surprised to see 4000++ questions in Yahoo! Answers. Each one has 5 or more answers, most are serious while some are funny. Read on.
- Left, but I noticed that the general consensus says right hand if you are in a gay marriage.
- Left because most people shake hands right-handed and back in the day thieves would steal your rings if you wore them on your right hand.
- In England’s tradition, I heard that they put it on the left hand because they hold swords on the right hand, and wearing a ring on that finger would conflict with the sword fights
- The custom is to wear wedding rings on the left hand to reduce the risk of damage if you’re right handed.
- It depends on the country and sometimes even the religion of the couple. In Sweden, it’s left hand, in Norway it’s right hand. In Germany it’s left hand if you’re a Protestant and right hand if you are a Catholic.
- Left because normally the girl is right handed, making it easier for her hand to slip into his back pocket for his bilfold without him knowing it.
- Left coz most people are right handed and it’ll leave a mark when they punch ya.
- It goes on her left ring finger, which is the one right before the pinky. Assuming she has a left hand.
- I have been told that the ring being worn on the right hand is the sign of a widower…..They wear it out of respect for their past loved one!
- I’m Filipino. Yes in Philippines we wear the wedding ring in the right hand and that’s the tradition in Philippines. All my sisters they wear their wedding ring in right hand. But me I put my wedding ring in the left hand because we got married in Singapore and is European.
- Depends, if I’m at the bar working on a woman its on the right hand, if I’m at home with the wife it’s definitely on the left.
- Left. If on right hand it means they’re married, but willing to cheat on spouse!!!!!
- The only people I’ve known who wear their wedding ring on their right hand are lefties.
- The ONLY valid reason you have for wearing your wedding ring on your right hand…is because you are missing your left hand completely.
- The purpose of wearing your ring on your left hand is to show you are married. Why would you want to wear your wedding ring on your right hand? It makes no sense!!!!
- Where are you from? From outer space? So where do you think one would wear their ring, on the toes? Can’t believe you are asking this question.
- Left, because it is closest to your heart.
When I first thought of this post, I knew it would be a short one. Now I can’t stop copy-pasting! LOL!
Although my wedding ring is worn on the right finger, I would sometimes wear it on the left. But I haven’t worn it for a long time already. Not because of anything else, but because my fingers grew bigger ( I don’t know why!?? hehehe!) it won’t fit anymore.
It seems that majority of people wear their wedding rings on the ring finger of the left hand. How about you?